Netherlands Embassy in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

What to do if you are admitted to hospital abroad

If you – or a travelling companion – are unexpectedly admitted to hospital abroad, the Dutch embassy or consulate can assist you, for instance by informing relatives at home.

If you are admitted to hospital abroad, a number of things must be arranged. You can inform the Dutch embassy or consulate of the situation. They can help you by:

  • informing your relatives in the Netherlands of your admission to hospital;
  • informing your travel insurer's emergency support centre.

If there is no Dutch embassy or consulate in the country in question, you can contact the embassy or consulate of another EU country. You can also contact your travel company.

Informing your family

The embassy or consulate will first inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your situation. The ministry will then contact your family. Your family can also enquire about you by calling the ministry on +31 (0)70 348 4770.